Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (1)


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and features different book related themes each week. This week the theme is:

Top Ten Books For When You Need Light & Fun

I don't normally tend to read books that are essentially "Light & Fun". I like dark, mysterious, horrific, and often paranormal type books. However, I will give this a go and see what I can come up with. 

1. Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen - The love story of Jacob and Marlena, as well as the relationship formed with Rosie, was an instance where you can't help but smile dreamily and sigh. I loved the book and the movie did the book justice (surprisingly). 

2. A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks - Of course, all who know Nicholas Sparks's writing will known that his books are often "tearjerkers". A Walk to Remember is no exception. However, again, the love story between the two main characters makes up for all the sorrow and upset I feel throughout the rest of the book.

3. Marley & Me by John Grogan - I had a dog that was very similar to Marley in this book. He was rambunctious and wild but had a great love for his family. I got frustrated with him a lot. But as the saying goes,  you never truly appreciate something until it's gone. I read this book when I want to remember the good times with my dog that passed on. R.I.P. Hunter.

4. Life of Pi by Yann Martel - I only recently saw this movie, but had read the book numerous times before. Pi's trials and tribulations were tough to deal with throughout the book and subsequent movie, but it was fun to watch the relationship between Pi and the tiger grow into a mutual respect.

5. Queen Betsy Series by Maryjanice Dickenson - A series about a girl turned vampire who complains because she was turned when she was bloated and will not forever be that way. Really? How can anyone not find this fun to read?

6. Goosebump Series by R.L. Stine - These books bring me right back to my childhood. At one time I had the entire collection. I need to start collecting them again so I may have them for when I have children.

7. Pretty Little Liars Series by Sara Shepard - I am unsure whether the TV show came first or the books, but the books, in my opinion, are MUCH better than the TV show. I am in the process of collecting the whole series. I read these when I need something that doesn't revolve around fangs and fur as most of my other book preferences do.

8. Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling - I am an obsessive "Potterhead". I read this series at least twice a year. The movies, while good, do not do the books justice. They NEED to be read as well as watched. Trust me, if you have only seen the movies, pick up the books. Just DO it! ;)

9. White Fang by Jack London - I love any book with an animal as one of it's main characters. This book has been a favorite of mine since I was very little. I read it often (not quite as often as Harry Potter). It truly is an amazing classic.

Drumroll, please!

10. She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb - This book plagued me for so long after reading it. I was like one of those children who watch the same movie over and over again because it never gets old. That is me with this book. It's about an overweight girl who overcomes a LOT of obstacles while learning to accept who she is. It's a resounding example of beauty being within the eye of the beholder.

post signature