Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Tell Me Something Tuesday (1)


"Tell Me Something" Tuesday is a meme hosted by Heidi @ Rainy Day Ramblings. I usually do "Top Ten Tuesday" every Tuesday but I figured I would start changing it up. I will alternate between the two memes and if I enjoy doing both I will just move one to Thursday (possibly).

This week's question is:

"Let's Talk ratings, what rating scale do you use? How do you feel about reviewers that give out the high ratings on a regular basis?"

I use ladybugs as my rating scale. 


What a concept with a blog called "Ladybug Literature", right? When I was first developing my blog I chose the theme first and worked my way out from there. I chose the ladybugs because my boyfriend always calls me his "ladybug" to which I call him my "snugglebug". I know, so cute it's a bit nauseating isn't it? Well, I chose to go with the ladybug for that reason and it turned into what the site is today. 

I also did a lot of research on other ladybug book blogger sites because I didn't want to choose a theme that everyone has already used and wouldn't make my blog stand out. I don't know how other bloggers developed their sites, whether they started with the rating system and worked their way from there or whether they did it a different way. I have seen a lot of people using stars and I couldn't bring myself to do the same. It wouldn't have worked for me personally.

I have also developed a second rating scale for my boyfriend who may or may not (he is fickle) review some graphic novels and comic books for me so that my site is both female and male friendly. His rating scale are leaves (ladybugs? leaves? get it?). His rating scale looks a little something like this:


As for how I feel about reviewers who rate high on a regular basis, either they are simply trying to please the author/publishers with consistently high ratings in hopes of garnering favor and receiving more books/swag in reciprocation (big no-no in my book) or they simply like everything they read. I know that sometimes my reviews are overly critical. I know that very few books are 100% perfect in my opinion so I try to give the pros and cons of every book I read. 

In my perspective, if I were to write a book, I would pay more attention to the negative reviews so I know where I need to improve on my next endeavor. Maybe something in my character development needs some tweaking, perhaps the setting detail was inconsistent, or even the romance/adventure/plot of the story was too scattered for the reader to follow accurately, I would want to know about that. And so, I try to provide that to authors and publishers as best I can. I think all reviewers should be more invested in helping authors better themselves and their writing styles than just seeking out a way to people please and gain extra goods. We are doing this, as reviewers, to promote books we like and support authors, not to get freebies.

What are some of y'alls favorite rating systems and what do you think of overly positive or even overly negative reviewers?

post signature