Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tell Me Something Tuesday (4)


"Tell Me Something" Tuesday is a meme hosted by Heidi @ Rainy Day Ramblings

This week's question is:

To continue or not to continue... let's talk about series! What are some of your favorite series that you continue to read? What would cause you to not continue a series?

There has been a lot of talk around the blog o'sphere about DNFing books (for those who do not know, DNF stands for 'did not finish'). I have only had one occurrence recently with a series that caused me to have difficulty continuing. That was the Chemical Garden Trilogy.


I finished "Wither" with gritted teeth and a groan. It is a series that has a main focal point of a dystopian world where men live longer than women and, thus, use women mainly for procreation. To increase the chances of repopulating the dwindling world a man often takes more than one wife in hopes of bearing an increasing number of children. Personally, I am a hardcore monogamist. I have been cheated on in the past and it was incredibly hard to deal with. So the fact that these men are having sexual relationships with numerous women (some of which are as young as 13... pedobear alert!) just didn't sit well with me. I wrote up a review of the book and was surprisingly kind in it despite my distaste. This gave me pause and made me wonder if I was really reviewing it with honesty or if I was just nervous to be blunt (a fear I have since gotten over... for the most part). I will possibly post the review later on but... that is not the issue.

I finished the book and even picked up the next book in the series to attempt to carry on with the trilogy. About three chapters into the third book I just couldn't do it anymore. It was still bothering me so I took the book back to the library and have washed my hands of the series for the time being. 

That is not to say that others may not enjoy the series. I am just too passionate about monogamy to allow myself to enjoy the world Lauren DeStefano created. 

To answer the first part of this question is hard with the astronomical amount of series I am currently engaged in. So I will narrow it down a little by just focusing on Paranormal Romance (my favorite aside from Young Adult, of course). I love Paranormal Romance books that tie in together. With a lot of Paranormal Romance books they have various characters from a fictitous world that do not interact at all. Random men and women finding love and having a happy ending that we never hear from again. Uhm, I am a stickler for never wanting a story to end, so I at least want a blurb, a mention, a little thought about past characters in a series so I know that the characters I was so thoroughly involved with are doing well and living having fictional lives (I am weird, you should know this already if you are a follower of my blog). Without further ado, I will tell you the series I love THE most in Paranormal Romance... *drum roll*...

The Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward!!


I love this series because even when a love story is complete between two characters in one book, you will often see them again in following books. For instance, in the end of one book a character finds out they are pregnant. Throughout the subsequent books you follow the pregnancy in small amounts (it's not the main focal point of course) up until the imminent birth. I love that! A happily ever after does not always have to mean 'the end'!

Now that I have rambled enough on the subject, tell me something about YOU! What are some of your favorite and least favorite series?

post signature