Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (11)


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and features different book related themes each week. This week the theme is:

Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make You NOT Pick Up a Book

As I use Goodreads religiously I am going to put a little spin on this theme. As with most Goodreads books they are normally tagged in different genres with different subcategories. Admittedly, that is one of the first things I check when I hear about a book and in deciding what books to add to my TBR. That is what I am going to use for this theme. Top ten Goodreads tags/subcategories that send me running from or at least blase about a book.

1) Christian Romance - I can understand books that are centered around religion and I can understand books that are centered around romance, but with so many stipulations on the Christian religion and intimacy, I can't really see that sort of book being at all fulfilling. Instead of having main characters confess their love to their significant others you will see them praising God? I just can't see how these two genres would ever coexist well.

**click the picture to be taken to Goodreads**

2) Diet - I am a woman. I diet. It is just a part of being of that particular gender. However, I am a firm believer in simply eating healthy and exercising. The gimmick diets don't impress me and when I read, I want to read for pleasure, not so I can feel bad about those extra 5-10 pounds.

**click the picture to be taken to Goodreads**

3) Politics - Nope, nope, nope. I don't care about politics. I voted, yes, but who I voted for and what political party I am currently a part up is not something I discuss. Politics is too touchy a subject and I REALLY don't want to read about it. It is just not my sort of thing.

**click the picture to be taken to Goodreads**

4) Short Stories - This one is a bit iffy. I will read short stories if I have already gotten into the core series and loved it. Sometimes finding out little tidbits about my favorite characters that I couldn't learn from the original books is nice. But, I do not set out to read short stories. On Amazon, when I am on a 1-click bender, I won't even read the synopsis for books that are under 150 pages. I like long stories. Personal preference.

**click the picture to be taken to Goodreads**

5) Anthologies - Much like the short stories... if they have some sort of tie-in with a series I am currently reading, I will read them but otherwise, I don't like to read a bunch of random stories all smooshed together by a bunch of authors. There is always that one author in the mix that you either have no clue about or you don't particularly like. If they are going to be short stories, it'd be better just to cram them all into a large book like Stephen King did quite a few times instead of getting other authors involved.

**click the picture to be taken to Goodreads**

6) Amish Fiction - I have nothing against the Amish, but I am not a fan of reading about them. Some people are intrigued by their lifestyles, I am not one of those people. I thrive on electricity and the modern conveniences of today.

**click the picture to be taken to Goodreads**

7) Historical Romance - These are what I have affectionate started calling "bodice rippers". You know the books I am talking about. The Fabio looking guy on the cover who is tearing the dress off his woman? Yes, those. Don't get me wrong, there are some historical romance books that I DO like. But this category gives me pause.

**click the picture to be taken to Goodreads**

8) Self-help - I have never been able to get into that sort of thing. Whatever issues I have I deal with them the normal ways. Talking. To my friends, family, a psychologist, anyone who I feel will be able to help me through my issues and, boy, have I had some in the past (who hasn't?).

**click the picture to be taken to Goodreads**

9) Splatterpunk - For those who don't know this is basically ultra-graphic, ultra-gory, horror books. They are essentially "hyperintensive horror with no limits". I like horror as much as the next Stephen King fan, but there is a point where it's just too much. I read one Richard Laymon book and about vomited at least three times.

**click the picture to be taken to Goodreads**

10) Western - Not a big fan of the cowboys and Indians. I like my real life men a bit of a cowboy (I am from Florida, it was bound to happen), but in my reading, I prefer the dark, mysterious bad boys instead.

**click the picture to be taken to Goodreads**

What are some Goodreads genres or subcategories that you don't particularly enjoy?

post signature