Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tell Me Something Tuesday (9)


"Tell Me Something" Tuesday is a meme hosted by Heidi @ Rainy Day Ramblings

This week's question is:

What do you think of the current trend in the YA genre toward emotional contemporary versus the paranormal/supernatural books that have flooded the market over the last few years?

I am a paranormal/supernatural fan all the way. I think humans and their less complicated relationships just don't hold my interest like the paranormal books. I mean it's one thing to overcome geography (living in a different area), resisting the bad boy because he is simply bad, and staying away from the new girl because she is unknown to your small town world. But when you think about paranormal couples who must overcome species differences and normally the feral instincts of the male protagonists to keep from eating or killing the object of his infatuation. I guess I am a glutton for danger and like the "you could die from this relationship" aspect.

That does not mean that emotional contemporaries are all entirely bad in my eyes. I do enjoy some HUMAN relationship literature from time to time. I am an equal opportunity reader. I will give most, if not everything, a gander before completely writing it off. For instance, I have always advocated against historical romances and right now I am reading a paranormal historical romance and am kind of digging it. I will have to see how I feel towards the end.

Which do you prefer? Emotional Contemporary or Paranormal/Supernatural?

post signature