Thursday, December 26, 2013

2013 End of the Year Book Survey @brokeandbookish


I decided to take part in the 4th Annual End of the Year Book Survey hosted by The Perpetual Page Turner.

This is my first year with my blog and I have fallen in love with book reviewing (I was already in love with books). I love all the memes, people, and books I gain access to. I have gotten to know so many awesome authors and publishers and it's been an amazing year. So let's get started :)


1. Best book you read in 2013?

I have a few actually. I will keep it down to the top five.



Breaking Nova by Jessica Sorensen (Nova #1)
Escaping Reality by Lisa Renee Jones (The Secret Life of Amy Bensen #1)
Rule by Jay Crownover (Marked Men #1)
Wait for You by J. Lynn (Wait for Me #1)
Shadows by Paula Weston (Rephaim #1) 

2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn't?

Absolutely Pretty Dark Nothing by Heather L. Reid. I was so excited about the book after seeing the cover and reading the synopsis but I just didn't like it at all...

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?

After the Ending by Lindsey Fairleigh and Lindsey Pogue. I expected it to to be the typical dystopian novel that was mediocre at best, but I had a SEVERE book hangover after reading it. It ended on a cliffhanger and I just got the sequel from NetGalley. I am so excited to read it!

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

I did a blog tour for When the World was Flat (and we were in love) by Ingrid Jonach and loved the book so much I have actually loaned out my precious signed copy for others to read.

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

The Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I had heard things about the series, but never found any real desire to read it because I wasn't really interested in a series about aliens. Boy was I ever ignorant. It's the absolute best and so is the author!

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

Page Morgan who wrote The Beautiful and the Cursed and is releasing the sequel, The Lovely and the Lost, in May of 2014.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

I would probably say Cain's Blood by Geoffrey Girard. It's a cross between a psychological thriller and a grotesque (in a good way) murder mystery which I usually stay away from.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

Raziel by Kristina Douglas. She was a new author I started reading on a whim (random library rental) and I was completely sucked in. I was gasping with the characters and bouncing in my seat whenever the action got hectic.

9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?

Gargoyle Addiction by Livia Olteano. I just got the sequel and need a refresher on the previous book so I can remember the world I fell in love with.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?


Cursed by Monica Wolfson. I mean, you can see why I loved it. Absolutely beautiful.

11. Most memorable character in 2013?

My favorite and most memorable character is in Caris Roane's Ascension that I read for my book club. I loved the female protagonist, Alison Wells, who walked the fine line between tough-as-nails and vulnerable.

12. Most beautifully written book of 2013?

Really, it's not just a single book. It's ALL the books in The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward. It's just an amazing series and the world Ward created is magnificent.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?

Breaking Nova by Jessica Sorensen. It is the first book I have read that I ended up bawling all the way through and just having a good healthy cry when I was finished as well. It's heartbreaking.

14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?

Across the Universe by Beth Revis... hands down.

15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013?

From Wait for You:


16. Shortest & longest books you read in 2013?

Shortest: One Thousand and One Nights by Ruth Browne (68 pages)
Longest: After the Ending by Lindsey Fairleigh and Lindsey Pogue (478 pages)

17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

There is one part in Bound by Night by Larissa Ione where the male protagonist gets so sexually frustrated he dazes out and thinks he's hooking up with the girl he has feeling for but it's someone else entirely. I don't like infidelity so I was raging at my book and the guy being stupid.

18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Kate and Ryan from Preservation by Rachael Wade. They are a dynamic duo who have bumps along the way (what romance doesn't?).

19. Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you've read previously?

I have read a LOT of Keri Arthur's books but I have not read her Nikki & Michael series... until this year. It was amazing and I loved it. My favorite of that series was the first one (of course) called Dancing with the Devil.

20. Best book you read in 2013 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else:

Invisibility by Andrea Cremer and David Leviathan. I had written the book off but after reading so many glowing reviews and talking to a few book blogger buddies, I decided to give it a go. It was fairly good.

21. Genre you read the most from 2013?

I got into New Adult books this year and it is virtually ALL I read besides paranormal romance and a few fantasy reads. New Adult has become my bread and butter. :)

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

Jet from the book Jet by Jay Crownover. It is the sequel in the Marked Men series and Jet is a handsome, tattooed, rocker. Yes, please!

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

Breaking the Storm by Sedona Venez. It was an amazeballs read and it was her first ever. Don't you just envy authors who put out great books their first time out of the gate?

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

Again I would have to say the Black Dagger Brotherhood's world by J.R. Ward. Trust me when I say there is a LOT going on in that world that makes it so vivid.

25. Book that was the most fun to read in 2013?

The Woken Gods by Gwenda Bond. I love mythology and this book was chockful of gods and goddesses.

26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013?

Breaking Nova by Jessica Sorensen. I weeped, I cried, I became a bundle of emotions that needed chocolate and my blankie badly afterwards.

27. Book you read in 2013 that you think you overlooked this year or when it came out?

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi. I hard heard about it when it first came out but didn't have any desire to read it. I just didn't think I would like it. Oh em gee, my literates, it was phenomenal. I am kicking myself for not reading it sooner.

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?

A Reader of Fiction. I love her Cover Snark meme as well as her book haul and gif reviews. Christina is an amazing blogger and one I see as a blogging role model.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?

It is too hard to pick just one so I am going to go with my most recent... Dollface by Renee Rosen.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?

I don't really do discussions on my blog... perhaps I should start.

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on someone else's blog?

I really like this survey hosted by the Perpetual Page Turner :)

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

I went to the Fierce Reads book signing toward the middle of the year and it was amazing. It featured Leigh Bardugo, Jessica Brody, Anna Banks, and Gennifer Albin. It was my first major book signing tour and was a blast.

6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?

When I hit 1,000 followers on Twitter. I never in a million years thought I'd ever get that many followers in less than a year's time.

7. Most popular post this year on your blog (whether it be comments or views)?

Naturally it was a giveaway hop. My Something Wicked Returns Giveaway Hop post in which I gave away an ARC copy of Cain's Blood and Project Cain by Geoffrey Girard.

8. Post you wished got a little more love?

My reviews. I would love to get as many views for reviews where I am not giving away anything as I do when I am.

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Gohastings.com. It is one of the cheapest used book sites I have ever found. They are constantly doing 20-50% discounts on used books and their used books always come in virtually mint condition. I recommend the site.

10. Did you complete your reading challenges and goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of the year?

I did. I was a few books over my goal of reading 100 books this year. I set a meager goal and set it in the middle of year so I probably read way more than what my counter on goodreads says.


1. One book you didn't get to in 2013 but will be your number one priority in 2014?

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. I had read The Shining ages ago and was shocked that a sequel came out. I must have! *makes grabby hands*

2. Book you are most anticipating for 2014 (non-debut)?

Be With Me by J. Lynn. It's the sequel to Wait for You and I am DYING to read it.

3. 2014 debut you are most anticipating?

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman. I have been raving over the cover for ages and am dying for it to come out.

4. Series ending you are most anticipating in 2014?

Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi. I told you I got really into the Under the Never Sky series and I am dying to see what happens in the end.

5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging in 2014?

I hope to read twice as many books as I did this year in 2014. It's my new years resolution as well :)

This was an incredibly fun survey to write. A resounding thank you to the host for the fun times.