Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Tell Me Something Tuesday (30)


"Tell Me Something" Tuesday is a meme hosted by Heidi @ Rainy Day Ramblings

This week's question is:

Do you read New York Times Bestsellers?

I used to read them all the time. I was always interested in reading what was most popular and books written by well-known authors. I would go through the list ever chance I got and purchase as many as I could afford despite not knowing if I would even truly like reading them.


But since I started my blog, I have found myself reading a lot more indie and self-published books. I found I liked discovering new authors before they became too popular. When authors are new at writing or are less known, they seem more approachable. The big name authors are too busy with their next projects or appearances or publicity to truly give much attention to their readers. I like being able to form a relationship with authors. When I meet big name authors it just gets uncomfortable for both parties.


There are occasions though that I will read a book that is on the NYT Bestsellers list. It all depends on the book. I won't read a book just because its mainstream. I just can't read a book simply due to it's popularity and not because of any legitimate interest.


Do you read the NYT Bestsellers?